Saturday, April 3, 2010

Transfer PDFs to iPad, read them in iBooks

This is great! I just got my iPad today and been trying to get PDFs to be read. I have a large collection of materials and would like to digitize them there's also a vast collection of PDFs on the internet and various pirate sites. So here's how you do it.

1. Find the PDF you want
http://www.jpanafrican.com/ebooks/eBook%20Stolen%20Legacy.pdf

2. Convert it to epub format
http://www.epub2go.com/Web/default.aspx

3. Download it to your computer and drag it to iTunes


Afterward, drag that to the iPad and gratsall you have lot of pdf funtimes ahead!









Lastly, here's a copy of Stolen Legacy
http://www.zshare.net/download/745770671ac7fcc2/

PS if anytime in the distant future the epub site goes down, leave a comment of another place you can convert pdfs. That or search google for "Convert PDF to EPUB" it'll come up

Hotep

KM-WSR
(peace & black power)

7 comments:

keembah said...

Thanks for posting the process for getting pdf files into the iPad library. I just followed the process and had a problem after dragging the epub file into iTunes. As my iPad began to synch, iTunes crashed and shut down. Did you see this occur with certain conditions?
Thanks
Steve

Kofi said...

Nah, what kind of computer are you using and what version of itunes? can you keep reproducing the crash?

Kofi said...

Keembah, I found the error. Your probably tried to save the epub file directly to your iPad. That's wrong, you have to save it to your library first, then to your iPad. hope this helps.
peace.

Unknown said...

Kofi,
I am using a Dell PC. iTumes version 9.1. I can reproduce the crash. I used ePubToGo (before that website became flooded with other iPad users, now I can't get in) to convert my pdf to ePub format. While the iPad was connected, I dragged that ePub file in to the "books" folder in iTunes. It saving, then started synching then (Windows) said "iTunes has encountered an error and must close..." and it closed/crashed iTunes. Happens every time. Thanks for your thoughts on how to help me get the results that you've achieved.

Anonymous said...

Steven = Keemhah

Unknown said...

Kofi,
I looked more closely at your instructions and images. You dragged the ePub file into the iTunes Library, then dragged it from Library into iPad device. That worked just as you describe with no crashing. Thanks! The remaining issue for me to correct now is that my pdf file has the graphical content stripped out. This may be a consequence of the ePubToGo conversion. Note that when I emailed the same pdf to my iPad, it opens with all graphs and sketches.
Thanks for getting me through most of the process. If I solve the rest, I'll post here.
-Keembah

Anonymous said...

OK, the best solution to the pdf import problem is the app called GoodReader.

Bookmark and Share
Add to Technorati Favorites